6 March 2013

Mocha Brownies


The best brownie I ever had (so far...) was from a deli in Queen's Park. I can't remember the name of the shop but I do remember the taste and texture of the brownie. Quite something considering it must have been eight years ago that I ate it. Rich but not overwhelmingly so, slightly gooey without being sticky and not so heavy that it feels like a brick - no cake should be brick-like if you ask me. I am sure peoples taste in brownies varies a lot but this is how I like them.

At the weekend I made a batch of mocha brownies and they were pretty close to the mark. The addition of coffee powder make them a bit more grown up. On Saturday night we went wild and served them for pudding as part of a Sundae together with home-made candied pecan ice cream and a salted caramel sauce...what can I say. Outrageous.

150 gms Butter
200 gms Dark Chocolate
4 Eggs
150 gms Sugar
35 gms Plain Flour
1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Coffee Powder
Pinch of Salt

Grease a square baking tin, then melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan. Once melted, break the chocolate into small pieces and add them to the pan making sure to keep stirring while it melts over a low heat. Whisk the eggs and sugar until really light and fluffy. Add the chocolate and stir gently to combine. Fold the dry ingredients into the mixture and pour it into the tin. Cook at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. Once cool, cut the brownies into squares and dust with cocoa powder.

Top tip: For dusting cocoa powder or icing sugar, I always use a tea strainer. This make it easy to control and you can be a bit more precise.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.